Sunday, May 22, 2011

Ankle Rolls

     My feet were pretty prone to swelling even before pregnancy.  Now, it's just out of control.  Apparently when you are pregnant your body has a 50% increase in blood volume... thanks to gravity, lots of that extra blood ends up in your feet.  So, I only fit in one pair of flats, my running shoes, and flip flops.  I wear flip flops to church (something I never did before but have no choice to do now) and even then, my flip flops leave indentations on my feet.  I put my feet up on a chair in front of me any time it's available in church, work, and at home.  I've learned that swelling includes pain, something I didn't expect.  Swelling makes the top of my feet feel bruised.  People look at me with pity and/or sympathy and always express words of comfort.  I just laugh about it.  If I didn't laugh, then I would cry and it's not worth it to cry.  And really, my feet get IMPRESSIVELY LARGE.  People talk about having cankles but I periodically develop ROLLS.

    Yes those are my feet.  Jackson likes to joke that I have baby feet.  This particular picture was taken when I was at my parents' house.  I casually pointed out my swollen feet, rather fascinated at how large they had gotten, and my mom took one look and flipped.  She banished me to the couch and in no time at all I ended up like this: 

     After about 2 hours my feet had gone down enough that I could at least drive home.  I tell you what, this baby better appreciate what I go through to get him into the world!  My little sister recently said that pregnancy is a pretty sweet deal in that you have 9 months without any menstrual cramps.  I laughed and informed her I would take cramps a few days a month any day over all the constant aches and pains that come with pregnancy!  
     Good thing I already love this little guy inside of me and good thing he makes me smile and laugh every single day as he kicks and jiggles my stomach like jello.  He's gonna be a great kid, we're so excited for him to get here.  I tell you what though, he is ACTIVE!  Now that I'm in the 3rd trimester my doctor wants me count kicks to make sure my baby's activity level stays consistent and to be aware of any decrease.  He told me that I need to count 10 kicks in 2 hours and if I don't, come to the hospital immediately.  I've been counting for 2 weeks now, at the same time each night.   It's never taken me more than 10 minutes to get to 10 kicks.  Usually it takes between one and two minutes.  Looks like he's inherited his daddy's energy! 
     Anyway,  pregnancy side effects aren't all bad.  I can't comfortably bend over and reach my toes anymore so painting my toe nails is out of the question.  Luckily, my little sister Tara was happy to fix that problem for me! 


     I can't wait to get a pedicure with my first pay check from work or for my birthday in July.  I had my first and only pedicure for my wedding and became a huge fan.  I totally get it now.  Such a simple way to be pampered but so effective.  Until then, Tara will definitely fill the need though! 
    So, don't feel bad for me.  Feel free to laugh at the ankle rolls.  I do! 
     




2 comments:

  1. OMG ankle rolls!!!! Bahaha! Tausha, I'm so glad you have a sense of humor about them. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maria your comment made my night! I'm so glad you enjoyed that picture as much as you did, it almost makes it worth going through it! :) Ankle rolls are a daily occurrence now so maybe you'll be lucky enough to see them in person...

    ReplyDelete