Friday, April 22, 2011

It snowed in Texas!

No, not recently.  Don't worry, it's like 93 every day this week.  And I'm not even sure if I've seen moisture hit the ground since it snowed back in February.  We are in such a terrible drought (worst one in 45 years... and it just keeps going.  We're praying those wildfires stay away from Austin and San Antonio!)  Anyway, I've lived in central Texas for a good 11 years of my life and have never seen snow that actually stuck on the ground.  I figured I'd add a few posts to share some of the fun we've been having pre-blog creation.  So, the first week of February was a COLD one.  Temperatures dropped to the teens and it brought back nightmares of winter in Provo.  However,  with all of the cold, it actually snowed and stuck twice in one week!  And the snow didn't melt by mid-afternoon, it stuck around for a few days!  An incredible feat for central Texas.  On February 4, 2011 I woke up and just KNEW that it had snowed.  Had this feeling.  So, I peek out the window, give a squeal of delight, and run out to our balcony.  Here's what I saw:
     I dragged Jackson out of bed and made him go on a walk with me.  Snow is not his favorite thing, but he loves me so he humored me.  He couldn't go to work anyway, Texas is not equipped to make frozen roads safe.  In fact, they are so wise that they managed to put salt down the night before which melted the ice that was already formed but then all that snow and previously melted ice just refroze on the roads, even worse than before since they had melted it first!  (Even when Jackson did go into work around noon he almost died like 3 times from other drivers)  Here's what the roads were like everywhere (in Provo driving on snow wasn't too big of a deal, but here, it's not snow, it's ice.  Everywhere.) 
Anyway, I enjoyed the excuse to put on my boots, tried to make sure my husband wouldn't freeze too bad (he has no winter gear, no coat, no nothing.  Just a hoodie.  It's an unfortunate tale of how that came to be, but he was a trooper) and we headed down the sidewalk of Lakeline Blvd. 
Early on, Jackson tried to shove me to make me slip.  I had a good laugh when I stayed upright and he was the one that took the fall! 

    This picture is especially cool because it looks like he's doing some crazy matrix move!  After I finished laughing at him, I helped him up.  Later, he did manage to make me fall (being the kind husband that he is, he didn't let me take the fall full force but, rather caught me on the way down and let me fall gently to the concrete. I didn't get nearly as wet as he did!  


We enjoyed our short walk down our road and I got my snow fix for the year. 








2 comments:

  1. Looks like fun! Oregon is the same way with the snow, not equipped at all. I'm surprised it stuck around for so long down there but I'm glad the crazy drivers didn't crash into Jackson!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah. Snow. I'd be OK with it once every decade.

    ReplyDelete