Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Saturday at the Park

     This past Saturday we went to Zilker park near downtown Austin.  One of Jackson's very good friends from high school was visiting us and so we took her to see some evidence of Austin's incredible urban planning.  We're only 90 miles from our parents' houses but I'm amazed at how different Austin is from San Antonio.  San Antonio is home and we love it but I just LOVE how active Austin is.  We have 20 miles of biking and running trails basically right outside our front door.  There are lots and lots of spacious parks with creeks, rivers, and lakes galore.  It makes me anxious to have this baby and have my body back to take on some of those trails!  (The baby can come too of course... I would just rather push him in a stroller than have an awkwardly large belly and loose muscles!)
     We began by checking out the Botanical Gardens in Zilker Park.  Unfortunately, flowers were hard to come by, and the shrubbery and landscaping looked a bit overgrown and the ponds were surprisingly dirty and we felt bad for the fish in there.  So, we do not recommend the Botanical Gardens in Zilker Park, but I do recommend taking a break from walking in this chair:

     From here, we ran into the Townlake trail which goes straight through downtown but hugs the lake the entire way.  I can't wait to run and bike on it in the Fall.  First though, I want to try out the kayak rentals!  I love boats and I especially love kayaks, there are few activities better than enjoying a day on the river or lake, exploring at your own pace and jumping in the water when it gets too hot.  
     Jackson Allie, and I enjoyed the view before heading off to our picnic lunch. 

     
     We enjoyed a relaxing day at the park and are excited to return to swim, kayak, hike, and bike!  Luckily, we have a park with similar options right by our house.  However, this one has an urban feel that makes it even more fun.  It was great for me to get to know Allie and she was a wonderful guest to have.  We hope she visits again! 



No comments:

Post a Comment