Thursday, April 28, 2011

Creative Exploits

     So, besides getting creative in the kitchen (in case you haven't heard, I'm cooking a new main dish every day for a year).  I have also been trying my hand at various sewing projects and crafts around the house.  I think I'm finally ready to start sewing baby things too, can't wait to get that started!  In fact, we just got our income tax return today so I feel validated going to buy the stuff to do it! Anyway, here are some pictures to show you what I have been keeping busy with over the past 6 months.
     First, I made some curtains for our humongous window in the bedroom.  Not only do they block out the hotel-esque light that comes through the blinds from the complex parking lot at night, they also look really cute and add much needed color to our room!  I had fun combining masculine and feminine and coming up with curtains that would match all 3 different bedspreads.  Polka dots on top, stripes on the bottom.

     At the same time I was working on the curtains, I also sewed and decorated a Christmas stocking for Jackson.  My aunt sewed my entire family stockings years ago and I wanted to make one for Jackson to match.  I learned a lot of lessons and it's not perfect but I think it still turned out pretty cute.  Note the cowboy snowman. 

There was a lot of detail work that went into it.  I used cowboy ornaments to decorate a little wooden snowman that I painted.  Added buttons, used ribbon for the scarf, and cut out fabric for gloves.  Take a closer look at the cowboy boot turned stocking.  It's my favorite part! It was so satisfying to glue those presents and candy canes in! So cute!


Next, I created fabric wall hangings for the big empty wall above our bed.  I bought 1x2 inch pieces of wood, had my dad help me cut them down to equal sizes with his electric saw table then I used a hammer, wood joining nails, wood glue, and regular nails to construct a frame with a flat face.  I then neatly folded fabric around it and used hot glue and nails to secure the fabric on.  It was a cheap project and very satisfying to add some more color and pattern to our room.  And I only got yelled at from a neighbor once for all of my hammering.  




Here's the overall effect in our room: 


About a month ago my aunt came up to Austin and helped me on my t-shirt quilt.  I started it a year and a half ago but have never made a quilt before and didn't know how to do it.  So, my aunt instructed me on how to pin it and together we got it pinned.  Who knew pinning a quilt was an all day affair?!  It was a terribly painful day doing all of that up and down form the floor.  By the end of the day I was holding back tears and shouts of pain because my back hurt so badly.  Never again will I do a project that requires extensive work on the floor while pregnant! But hey, the t-shirt quilt turned out great considering all of it's imperfections and mistakes I made when I was putting it together without any help! 



Last but not least, my sister and I made aprons together recently.  I'll post her modeling the one she made.  You'll have to wait to see me in mine because it looks pretty silly awkwardly hanging over my big belly.  Doesn't quite fit the way it should!  My sister and I used the same main pattern, hers is just a lime green and mine is what I call 70's green.  She used black and white polka dots, I used brown and white.  I think they turned out pretty cute though and not bad for making up our own pattern! 



And that's it.  Now it's time to make cute baby stuff! If you have any great ideas, feel free to share them! 







No comments:

Post a Comment