Thursday, August 11, 2011

Day 5 of Overtime

Thursday:  Still waiting.  Weird that if I hadn't of canceled we would have a 1 day old baby right now.  I spent the first part of my day showering and getting ready, including shaving my legs.  It was SO HARD!  Definitely a painful and uncomfortable experience to lean over my belly.  I had vowed I wouldn't shave my legs again until the baby came but I had dark prickly hairs on my fat ankles and I just couldn't stand it.  So, I shaved my legs.  Then I actually put on real clothes (I've been living in Jackson's t-shirts and basketball shorts) and did my hair.  One reason I probably felt so bad yesterday is because I needed a shower, I didn't really get dressed, do my hair, or make up.  So I felt pretty gross to begin with.  Today I put in the contacts, did the make-up, straightened my hair and even wore earrings.  I know.  Over the top.
     Anyway, the point of today is that I had my dr's appointment.  We discussed options and my preferences.  I'm grateful that my doctor doesn't try to push anything on me.   If it were his wife, he would have gone through with the inducement on Wednesday, but he's respectful of my decision.  Anyway, he said the baby is getting pretty big in there.  He's at least 8 pounds by now.  This of course is only by an external exam though, no ultrasound data to back it up.  But, we discussed the risks of waiting longer compared to inducing, etc.  I know 2 weeks is pretty much the cut off point these days, and I don't actually feel comfortable waiting that long anyway because the risks are substantially higher.  Anyway, moral of the story is that if the baby still hasn't come, I check in on Sunday night and get induced on Monday.  The baby will be 9 days overdue by then.
     I feel really good about the new plan.  Even if I do end up getting induced, I'm glad that I gave my body and the baby some more time and I feel like it's a happy medium between the potential risks of both  scenarios.  I also feel like I'm following my instinct and my body and that of course makes me happy and confident in my decision.
     I did make a little progress though.  I was dilated to 1.5 centimeters today.  I know, nothing substantial, but at the same time I've been at a 1 for like 3 weeks so I'm happy to see a change.
     I ended the day with going out with Jackson and our good friends Donny and Aleksandra.
 I haven't been out in AGES.  We've lived in the live music capital of the world for a year and tonight we finally went to our first live music venue.  Don't judge.  We went to Darwin's Pub on 6th street and I met Matt Noveskey from the band Blue October.  That was cool!
  And we got to listen to some mad guitar skills from a local band.  As I sat there at the booth, enjoying being out on the town, I turned to Jackson and said, "I'm 5 days overdue... in a bar".  Our friend Donny then referenced one of my very favorite movies which made my night.  I was happy to complete the quote as he had left off the best part at the end -


Baby In A Bar

   

No comments:

Post a Comment